Thursday, May 29, 2008

Forbidden Knowledge!

Clearly, the Greyhawk Grognard has been sniffing some of Mr. Mishler's black lotus, for he has peered into the future, clearly daring the forces of darkness, and perused the blasphemous tomes of 4e!

Or maybe buy.com just shipped early.

In either case, he's not entirely thrilled with what he's seen:

Oh, you can speak in character, but the final effect comes down to the roll of the dice. Put the "challenge the player" concept in the ground, it is dead.

He's thinking about a more thorough review; I, for one, would like to encourage GG to screw his courage to the sticking point, gather some friends and give the game a whirl, and then post all the gory details to his blog for the edification of the rest of us who are too cheap and lazy to do such a thing ourselves.

2 comments:

Secular Transhumanist said...

Double-dog-dare me, and I just might. ;-)

I did play the game in one of the demos a couple of months ago, but that, of course, is a far cry from being on the other side of the DM screen.

trollsmyth said...

I double-dog dare you with a cherry on top! ;D

I'd love to read what you think about it under actual play. I got a chance to flip through a PHB today, and I'm going to have a chance to take a closer look at all three this weekend. I gotta say, they were certainly bold about breaking with the past stylistically. But my brain hurts just thinking about trying to run this thing at higher levels and without a grid.

- Brian