Thursday, January 05, 2023

DUNGEON23: Which Monsters?

 

I was flipping through the 2e monster manual, looking for inspiration as to what will be under the ziggurat, when I realized there’s no reason I need to use the monsters in there.  I didn’t use the usual stats for the bandits based around the ziggurat, I have in mind one area that will use completely unique monsters, and another area where I’m using a traditional monster but mutated (no promises on either of those; these are ideas only, and when I get there I may have thunked up better ones).  And I’m already using ascending ACs, so I may as well wallow in my blasphemy.

 

Therefore, you’ll recognize names, but the stat blocks won’t be the same.  I know that’s going to be an issue for some, but it’s one that’s easy to fix, so I don’t feeling a burning need to include the “official” stats. 

 

This also gives me the opportunity to contemplate new spins on traditional monsters, which can be a lot of fun, if much slower.  And while I truly intend this to be a megadungeon, I’m going to continue to err on the side of quality over quantity.

No comments: