Sunday, August 21, 2022

Playing with B/X, OSR, 2e...


So where has this troll been?  The reason I’ve not been blogging about RPGs is mostly because I’ve been playing them.  For the past year, I’ve been regularly running a weekly 5e game face-to-face, taking part as a player in weekly 5e game on Roll20, and irregularly running a mad mashup of TSR-era and OSR games.  


The spine of the game is B/X, so that means race-as-class, wonky leveling mechanics based on gathering treasure, etc.  I’m using a more modern combat turn system (as much as I love the B/X one, asking everyone to decide what they’re doing before their turn was just a bridge too far), the 2e Monster Manual (which I still consider the best ever made for the game if you ignore the art), and the equipment list from 2e’s Al-Qadim setting.  I’ve created a new character sheet that incorporates LotFP’s encumbrance system.  I’m also using Shields Shall be Splintered, my minor magical effects and spell-leakage rules, a variation on DCC’s Might Feats of Arms, and yet another variant Table of Death & Dismemberment.


The resulting games have been a hoot.  I’ll be sharing more on this soon. 


4 comments:

Edvando said...

Can´t wait to hear more!

Anders H said...

The al-qadim equipment list? This i gotta hear more about.

trollsmyth said...

Anders H: what is it you'd like to know? 2e has the biggest equipment lists in D&D's history and Al-Qadim has a nice orientalist flavor to it that, ignoring any historical accuracy, gives a not-in-Western-Europe-anymore feeling I like. The final result is more Conan and less Lord of the Rings, which works for my table.

If there's more about the equipment list you'd like to know about, please speak up! I hadn't planned to mention it much more, but if there's interest, I'm happy to write about it.

The Angry Monk said...

Sounds very interesting. I will be awaiting your discussion.