Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Consider Phlebas? I'd Rather Not, Thanks.

I can’t say I wasn’t warned.

I’ve been hearing about Banks’ Culture novels for some time now. Whenever someone brings up neat future cultures or anthropology in sci-fi, Banks gets mentioned right along C.J. Cherryh, so I’ve been meaning to get to these for a while. I’ve also been warned that the first one, Consider Phlebas, isn’t very good. It’s Banks’ first sci-fi novel, and pales considerably next to the other books in the series. I’ve been told it’s more “Culture adjacent” rather than a true Culture novel itself. I’ve been told I can skip it.

I was told I should skip it.

I should have listened.

It starts off promising enough: a shape-shifting secret agent is chained to the wall of a dungeon after having been found out while impersonating an important member of a planet’s ruling gerontocracy. Looks like a great opening to a rollicking Planetary Romance, right?

Only the dungeon is built beneath the privies of a great feast, and he is sentenced to be drowned in the poo of those attending the feast. It’s a death as impractical as it is juvenile. Just how many people are attending this feast?

It doesn’t get any better. You’d expect the special agents of dueling star empires to ooze competence, if not a certain savoir faire (especially since one is from the magical and amazing Culture). Nope, everyone in this story is a bumbling incompetent. One character attempts to disguise themselves by doing nothing but changing their hair color. Another character nearly manages to escape. I can’t remember if that failed escape attempt results in any deaths, but nothing is done to prevent further attempts, which do lead to the death of a handful of characters.

Nearly everybody dies gruesome, ugly deaths. Even the “victor” of the novel’s events is so disgusted with the whole mess that they commit suicide.

The world building is pretty meh as well. Twice, Banks throws up his hands at attempting to explain why the characters are behaving they way they are and just blames it on religion. What these characters are doing is, in one instance, stupid, self-destructive, painful, and literally counter to basic biological instincts, but hey, it’s ok, because religion makes people that impossibly stupid. And what in the world does retirement even mean to a nigh-immortal AI living in a post-scarcity society?

The result is a long, rambly mess that feels like an attempt to write Heart of Darkness as a sci-fi novel. Yeah. It’s that bad.

I will eventually get to later Culture novels, as I’m still curious. But this one put me off my feed enough I’m going to wait a bit before I do so. Blah.

15 comments:

HDA said...

Oh man! Thank you. I hated that one and never picked up Banks again, despite everyone telling me how great he is.

Chimerical said...

In a different sense Banks' first sci-fi novel, and first Culture novel, was 'Use of Weapons'. It was written first, and the Culture setting was developed to be the background for that story. However he was unhappy with its structure and let it lie until quite later, when he published a rewritten version with a simpler structure.

In my opinion it's the best of all the Culture books I've read. In fact many of the later ones seem to smack of mimicking it.

Rocinante said...

I'd definitely recommend you start with 'Player of Games' or 'Use of Weapons' instead.

I also found Consider Phlebas really dull, which was a hug disappointment for me because I'd long loved Iain M Banks - both in his Sci-fi incarnation and his literary works (Stonemouth and The Wasp Factory are brilliant.)

There are other weak ones too - give Feersum Endjinn a miss.

Vance A said...

"Player of Games" first - as it both defines the Culture and looks at it from a distance as what a corrupting, destabilizing "moral" force it can be.

"Excession" for when the Culture runs into something that they don't understand and it freaks their shit.

thekelvingreen said...

Consider Phlebas was the first Banks I read, around 1995, when a friend loaned it to me to help me prepare for my upcoming Traveller campaign. It didn't help. Something about it makes me want to give it another try, but I suspect it's just nostalgia and so I've never bothered to tack down a copy.

I want to like Banks because lots of clever people say that he's a great scifi writer, but I don't recall enjoying any of his books -- with or without an M -- so I've given up trying. I didn't dislike Player of Games but I also don't remember coming away from it thinking he'd won me over.

Unknown said...

All sufficiently prolific creators have some misses.

Ashvini said...

Hi! thanks for such wonderful information.Thanks for sharing. https://ludoskill.blogspot.com/2020/09/ludo-skill.html

bhaggya said...

Hi! Your Article is very nice, every Knowledgeable article.
Thanks for sharing in-depth content.

bhaggya said...

You are awesome!!!!!

bhagya said...

https://onfield11.blogspot.com/2021/03/5-reasons-online-fantasy-cricket-game.html

tanmay vaitage said...

Interesting article. I am looking for such kind of information on the web and I found in your blog. Keep sharing I loved it.
also check - https://onfield11.blogspot.com/2021/04/fantasy-sports-has-huge-potential-in.html

bunty yenpuer said...

I have read all bogs. Nice
https://ludoskill.blogspot.com/2020/08/ludoskill-is-all-rounder-entertainer.html

Ashvini said...

I have got a lot of information on this blog. https://ludoskill.blogspot.com/2021/05/common-mistake-while-playing-online.html

bhagya said...

Nice blog...Thank you for your blog it was quite helpful,
Learn more - https://ludoskill.com/
join this telegram channel - https://t.me/ludoskillFun

bhagya said...


great tutorial and I will be making some for myself and my friends!! thanks!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_yA9T90ftE